Friday, September 30, 2022

I'm Disappointed

 I had a thing planned today, however with the Hurricane coming through the coastal part of Virginia where I was going to, God changed my plans. I am very disappointed because I don't know if I will ever get the chance to again but God can see things I can't. 

I was going to visit some ancestry grounds today where some of my own ancestors walked, lived, and was buried. 

On that one piece of paper I have included is our ancestry that a family member took the time and was provided the resources to trace our ancestry. We were always told all our lives by family members that we were related to an Indian Princess but no one knew who. 

At the bottom of the list and underlined is my biological great grandfather. We were traced back to none other than the Legendary Chief Powhatan, through one of his many daughters, Cleopatra,  half sister of the Legendary Pocahontas.  I'm sorry to find out that not alot of history surrounds Cleopatra but she did however go on to become the Chiefs Wife of the tribe (who in turn winds up being her half uncle, half brother to Chief Powhatan, after their father passed) I guess which made her a Queen of the tribe. All Powhatan chiefs were called Chief Powhatan.  They were not called by their real names. More history is focused on Chief Powhatan and Pocahontas due to what happened at the settlement of Jamestown,  VA and England. 

I was going to visit the Jamestown Settlement, Living Jamestown Settlment  Museum and the Pamunkey Indian Reservstion where Chief Powhatan is buried. Chief Powhatan had many tribes in his confederacy and spent alot of time at the settlement and Cleopatra and Pocahontas visited and played with many children at the settlement.  Cleopatra is buried in Maryland and Pocahontas is buried at a Cathedral Church in England. Pocahontas was baptized into Christianity in England before she married John Rolfe and changed her name to Rebecca. 

Maybe next year. 

Enjoy the pictures.











No comments:

Post a Comment