Sunday, July 9, 2023

How To Make Zucchini Pickles

 I wanted to try Pickling Zucchini so I finally did it. This is another way to use up some of the Zucchini coming in from your garden. You can utilize a vegetable you already have on hand and save the space you were going to plant those cucumbers and now plant something else. It's all about ingenuity.  Here is a written tutorial for you. 

First, pick your Zucchini (small ones are the best). Wash them real good especially if you use an insecticide.  Next, cut your Zucchini into wedges, rounds or you can do them whole. Then pack your jars tight but not so tight that you can't easily get one out. Wide mouth jars are best in order to get them out without breaking or smooshing them. Next, prepare your brine.  I use Ms. Wages Kosher Seasoning packet. And I'll tell you why. I'm doing these pickles for my grandchildren and I want the closest flavor to store bought pickles as possible. You know the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" If I start mixing my own spices together and Yada Yada, I may mess the taste up and you know kids, "I don't like this" So, Ms. Wages is the closest seasonings I can  get and Lord knows I am not going to mess this up. I'm trying to get more vegetables in them you know. They love pickled okra. Imagine that. 


Following the directions on the back of the packet, bring brine to a boil and boiled it for the required time. Next, laddle brine into jars and leave a one inch head space. Wipe rims of jars with vinegar or water (your preference) to make sure nothing interferes with the seal. Apply lids and bands (rings) finger tip tight. Don't screw on to tight. This causes buckling. Process in the water bath. This is where I tweeked a step just a bit. I have never used pickle crisp so I don't want mushy pickles. I cut the processing time in half. The longer you process pickles the softer they get. Remove from the pot after processing with jar lifters and set aside to let contents cool. If sealed properly, you will start hearing pops. Let sit for several hours. Test the top of the jars later to test for sealing. Then store in your pantry. 


It has only been a few days and I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to try one. They already had good flavor. 


Here is an idea to get quick pickle anything. Save the pickle juice from store bought pickles.  You can add hard boiled eggs, cucumbers, Zucchini,  radishes,  cauliflower, basically anything you want to pickle. Put in the jar of juice, and store back in the fridge. Let sit for about 7 days. Instant refrigerator pickled anything. I love to make pickled eggs this way. 

Here is my video version if you are a visual learner like me. Be sure to like and subscribe to our channel and turn on your notification bell so you can be alerted when ever a new video is uploaded. See you over on YouTube.  



No comments:

Post a Comment