Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Canning Dried Beans

On our Canning and Preserving Page, I have a picture tutorial of the way I have always canned dried beans like Pinto Beans. However, sometimes I just can't get them to turn out right all the time. Sometimes the jars evaporate some of the liquid out during processing leaving the top part of the beans in the jar either dry or scorched, or sometimes they get too mooshy. When I open a jar, I always just add a little more water and cook on the stove a little. Now, I have searched and searched for a better and easier way to can them, and let me say, I love this method better. Disclaimer: This is not USDA recommended. I am just a rebel and wanted to expierment. So I will leave this tutorial here in this post and I will add it to our Canning Page so any time you want, you can book mark the link. 

No Soak Method:

Step 1 and Step 2: Wash beans and pick out any debris, rocks, or bad beans. 
Step 3: I get a little vinegar and paper towel ready for wiping jar rims.
Step 4: Wash, dry and sanitize jars and keep warm in a warm oven. 






Step 5: I warm up some water in a big aluminum pot on the stove, and in another pot I will boil my lids and rings. 
Step 6: I prepare my canner with water in the bottom and rack. Check your manufactures directions for how much water to put in your canner. 
Step 7: I get a work station set up with my boiled water, pot with hot lids and rings, jars, bowl of vinegar and a paper towel, wooden spoon and my funnel. 
Step 8: I put one cup of dried beans into each jar. 



Step 9: I pour the hot water from the aluminum pot into each jar about 1" head space from the top. 
Step 10: I take a wooden spoon and stir really good to loosen any debris or bad beans, and get out air bubbles. 
Step 11 and 12: Bad beans and debris floats so you will want to remove them.




Step 13: I will wipe each rim of jar off with the vinegar I have in my little bowl with the napkin. (not pictured, sorry.) Then I will place hot lids and rings onto jars and just screw them on finger tight. Don't torque them too  tight or use alot of elbow grease. 
Step 14: Place jars in canner and put lid securely on the canner. 
Step 15: I process at 10 lbs pressure for 90 minutes.Be sure to check you manual too for lbs pressure for your altitude.  In this photo, my pressure got a little high, so I had to back down my heat some. You have to find your stoves sweet spot some times when canning. 😄😄😄
Step 16: After they have processed, I move the canner off stove to cool and let pressure come down so I can safetly take off lid and take out jars to cool. And you know they are sealed when you hear those "pings". You need to check the lids to make sure they have all sealed too. You can thump the top and if one is not sealed, you will be able to hear the difference. It will sound more hollow. 


To me they look so much better than the way I was doing them. 
They do look different than the other way of processing. I personally love it better. When it is time to have a jar for a meal, I just open the jar and empty into a pot on the stove and cook for a few more minutes. Wholah!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment