Hello Friends. Welcome to today's post.
I want to share a hack with you all that will save you money on your grocery budget.
If you don't do this, you really should. If you don't know why we do it, I'll explain.
Walmart has two pack whole chickens for around $15. I bought 3 packs. That is 6 whole chickens for around $7 and a few cents a piece (depending on weight).( I rounded each two pack up to the nearest whole dollar so I spent around $45 for 6 whole chickens).
David cut up each chicken for me to separate the pieces.
Scraps, bones, necks, gizzards, and skins went into a big roaster. Added water and simmered all night.
Strained the scraps all out of the roaster and I was left with 12 quart jars of nutritional chicken stock. This can be used in any recipe calling for stock, or to give someone who is sick, or I can make some homemade chicken noodle soup.
I went through all the scraps and got some more jibblets of white and dark meat for chicken salad, BBQ chicken pizza, nachos, etc. Then the farm kitty gets treats every day until they last.
We are then left with:
1 whole bag of chicken wings (I almost sung the song)
1 bag of tenderloin for chicken strips
6 bags of 2 chicken breasts a piece
6 bags of 2 chicken leg quarters a piece.
I am seeing so many recipe ideas for future meals.
We tagged teamed it and got er' done and in the freezer and pantry.
When he retires, we are going back to raising chickens again.
My grandparents raised chickens and we were raised on it. My grandmother could have a chicken on the table in an hour that was once walking around in the pasture.
It is so easy to break down a chicken and section it out for meals to stock your freezer and pantry. You just need to learn.
David has his own video where he shows you how to do this and he even has a price break down for you at the time things were on sale when he did the video.
You can find that video here
You actually save money breaking them down and packaging them yourself because you are cutting out the middle man (meat packager).
It cost money to pay someone to do this in the stores. Then it cost money for all the plastic packaging.
If I would have bought all that separately (already packaged) it would have cost almost twice as much.
See the savings? So buy those whole chickens, learn a new skill and break them down yourselves and save money. You will thank yourself later.
This post contains affiliate links that 4D Farms LLC. participates and earns a small commission on purchases you make when visiting our links at no extra cost to you.
If you enjoy our blog and content, be sure to sign up to receive emails when a new post is published so you don't miss a thing. We would love it if you would join us. Enjoy your reading.
If you are curious about any products you see in our images or that we use in our home or on the farm, please feel free to visit our Amazon Store, where everything is organized into lists for each category.
Visit our Amazon 4D Farms Storefront here
4D Farms LLC. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Our storefront link is an affiliate link that earns our farm a commission at no additional cost if you click through and make a purchase. You can trust that we recommend products that we use in our own home and love, and maybe some we wish to have. Our storefront is designed to help you locate items easily by specific, organized, and titled lists.
Thank you for your support.








No comments:
Post a Comment